Whether it’s due to the weather, illness, or other reasons, it’s not always fun to be stuck at home and inside the house. However, those are the best times to think outside the box and get a little creative. It’s can also be the perfect time to catch up on all those things you wished you had time to do!
Here are a few online options that allow you to keep your social distancing and stay warm inside while getting those pushed-off life tasks completed!
Have Adventures at Home!
Since you are at home with your loved ones for an unknown amount of time, you might as well have some fun and make some great family memories!
Fun with Younger Kids
- Read books together
- Have a tea party (with real treats)
- Have an indoor picnic
- Build a fort together
- Make slime
- Play dress-up
- Practice with flashcards
- Make a sensory table or bin and play in it
- Have a practice Easter Egg hunt (and let the kids hide them for you too)
- Have fun with chores (our favorite was having the kids put on swimsuits, clear the kitchen of all furniture, and let the kids slide around on the floor with some soapy water and clean the floor!)
Fun with Older Kids and Teens
- Make a scavenger hunt for the kids
- Have the kids make a scavenger hunt for you
- Art projects
- Teach them to make their favorite food(s)
- Play board or card games together
- Plan activities for younger siblings or younger neighborhood children to help keep them entertained during this time of quarantine
- Plant a garden outside or inside the house
- Do creative activities…projects, make your own game, etc….
- Make a vision board!
Fun with Any Age
- Bake something together
- Prepare a themed meal (Hawaiian, Mexican, BBQ, pirate, princess, etc…)
- Have an in-home popcorn and movie festival
- Check out Scholastic Learn at Home
- Plan your next family vacation…for when you can finally leave your home again!
- Do a puzzle together
- Explore BrainPop
- Play basketball, four-square, or another active outdoor game in your driveway or back yard
- Scrapbook or make a picture collage
- Do science experiments with Bill Nye The Science Guy
- Bake a treat for someone
- Make a gift for someone
- Take funny pictures of yourself and family members and make a quarantine scrapbook
Order craft kits online, have them delivered to your home, and do them together as a family!
Also, check out Imagineering in a Box by Disney!
Keep Up with Regular Activities
- Reading time (if this is not already a daily activity, this is a GREAT time to start!)
- Have downtime
- Have family time
- Do educational activities
- Exercise, go for a walk, get some fresh air, etc…
- Keep regular sleep schedules
Tasks to Accomplish With Your New Free Time
- Spring Cleaning
- Find items to donate to a local charitable organization once the quarantine is lifted
- Call, email, or FaceTime family and friends you cannot spend time with regularly right now
- Learn about a new animal or insect every day!
- Prep those Easter Baskets for your little ones and for the Disney Fans in your life! So many goodies can be found online and delivered directly to your home!
Check out Online Adventures!
So many zoos and museums are hosting online programs and virtual tours. This is a great way for you (and your family) can have fun at home with some of that free time! You can check out:
Visit Zoos and Aquariums online!
- Various webcams set up at the Georgia Aquarium
- Several exhibits from the Houston Zoo. My favorite so far is the giraffes!
- Watch the pandas at the Atlanta Zoo!
- Learning activities from the San Diego zoo!
- Home school ideas from the San Diego zoo
Visit Museums online!
- Adler Planetarium online exhibits
- Exhibits available at The Field Museum in Chicago
- Highlights from the Spencer Museum of Art
- Several exhibits at the New Orleans Museum of Art
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science
- Several exhibits at the Smithsonian
Visit Other Amazing Locations online!
- See the Great Wall of China from your own living room
- Visit the Taj Mahal in India
- Visit Greece!
- Tour Hawaii
- Visit the Louvre in France
- Visit Yellow Stone National Park
- Take a trip to Mars
- Visit Disney World and Disneyland via Google Street View
- Watch opera via live streaming from the Metropolitan Opera
Plan Your Next Family Vacation
Plan some Disney Fun
Consider Disney World tours! Check out the fantastic time we had doing the Keys to the Kingdom Tour!
Check out other amusement parks
Check out even more SeaWorld Deals!SeaWorld & Aquatica – Two great parks. One great deal.
See what Atlanta has to offer
Here is what the Atlanta aquarium has to offer
Personally, I’m a huge fan of The Georgia Aquarium!!
Think Warm and Sunny
There is never a bad time to think about the perfect beach vacation!
Check out Chicago
Check out SeaLife in Texas!Book online and save up to 23% off standard admission to SEA LIFE Grapevine!
See what Seattle has to offer
Think time alone with your partner once the kids go back to school…
And a few more ideas…
- Check out some great online activities offered by Great Wolf Lodge!!
- I can’t decide if I like Great Wolf Lodge’s yoga poses or science experiments better!!
- Seaworld has weekly educational opportunities!
- Seaworld also offers homeschool classroom activities for all to enjoy!
- Watch Broadway musicals for free online!
- Watch London’s West End show for free (West End is like New York’s Broadway)!
- Check out some information provided about helping your children manage this isolation period.